Accounting Assistant II (Huntington, WV)
Posted on Jun 05, 2017 by Katie Cook
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Supervises : None
Serves as an Accounting Paraprofessional by performing a range of routine and non-routine bookkeeping and paraprofessional accounting tasks in one or more of the following domains: (a) accounts receivable, (b) accounts payable, and (c) payroll support. Work requires application of established and standardized bookkeeping and accounting methods, processes, procedures and practices.
- Assist in implementation of electronic transactions for paperless office and electronic storage of accounts payable invoices.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, vendors and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Conform to all safety rules and use appropriate safety equipment.
- Attend training sessions to successfully meet job requirements.
- Work with the Accountant/Payroll to maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Comply with the system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Respond to Accounting as assigned with accurate and timely work to facilitate financial needs.
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports
- Ability and willingness to work under pressure and tight timelines during peak periods typically linked to budget, accounting, payroll and reporting cycles.
- Assist with ensuring vendor invoices are agreed to properly approved and signed purchase orders in Sage.
- Assist in ensuring that all accounts payable are entered and paid in a timely manner and take all reasonable discounts on supplier invoices.
- Assist with preparation of annual Form 1099 reporting.
- Assist in reconciling monthly credit card reporting.
- Prepare vendor checks for disbursement.
- Prepare customer invoices as directed by the Contract Billing Specialist, Staff Accountants, or Accounting Manager
- Assist Accountants with maintaining an electronic invoicing system.
- Assist with ensuring invoices are issued to customers in a timely manner.
- Assist with ensuring that accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Record cash receipts in the appropriate accounting software, including electronic receipts.
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
- Assist with periodic bank reconciliations.
- Assist with providing accounts payable information to Accounting for lease billing.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Assist payroll with analyzing, preparing and inputting payroll data in an automated system to produce accurate and timely payroll and reports.
- Assist with preparation of weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports for management.
- Assist with various account reconciliations, including bank reconciliations.
Compliance: Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
Desired Qualifications: The accountant candidate should have an Associate’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 2-3 years of substantive work in the range of duties in this job description to include:
- Evidence of knowledge of, and skill in using, established and standardized bookkeeping and accounting methods, processes, procedures and practices to perform accounts receivable, accounts payable, and/or general ledger support functions. This includes skill in using intermediate mathematics (decimals, fractions, ratios, factoring, integers, multiplication, division, etc.) and basic statistics (such as mean-median-mode, ranges and percentiles) to perform bookkeeping/accounting work.
(b) Evidence of skill in using a computer and Microsoft Office suite software and Sage software to perform bookkeeping and paraprofessional accounting functions and to perform general office functions, such as communication (email), word processing, scheduling, spreadsheets and presentations, and in using specialized accounting software to perform bookkeeping and paraprofessional accounting functions.
(c) Evidence of skill in planning one’s own work consistent with assignments, priorities and other guides; in reasoning in problem solving; in communicating in writing; in communicating orally; in working effectively with business contacts; in working as a team member; and in providing effective customer service.
Working Conditions: Primarily in an office environment. Position will be expected to travel as needed to all REO Logistics companies no more than twice a year. Periodic weekend or evening work is rarely expected.