Controller (Huntington, WV)
Posted on Jul 26, 2017 by Katie Cook
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Oversee the accounting operations of companies, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and reporting policies.
- Prepare annual staff evaluations.
- Manage the chart of accounts.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Manage a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Communicate with co-workers, management, and others in a courteous and professional manner
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Conform to all safety rules and use appropriate safety equipment.
- Attend training sessions to successfully meet job requirements.
Review and/or conduct monthly reconciliations of all Balance Sheet accounts to ensure their accuracy.
- Review monthly recurring journal entries.
- Accumulate and apply overhead costs as required by generally accepted accounting principles.
- Manage fixed assets system and related depreciation.
- Review financial statements and compare variances to budgets and prior year.
- Analyze capital budgeting requests.
- Review templates for basic financial report writing.
- Review payroll transactions and reporting.
- Provide year end information to the outside accountant for Corporate Income Tax Reporting.
- Facilitate Pension and Cafeteria Plan audits.
- Respond to CFO as assigned with accurate and timely work to facilitate financial needs
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
Issue timely and complete financial statements, including Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Statement of Cash Flows and Dashboards.
- Confirm consistency of financial reporting across companies.
- Calculate benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
- Assist in calculating and issuing financial and operating metrics.
- Manage the production of the annual budgets and forecasts.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to the CFO.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Prepare County Property Tax Returns.
- Review leases and contracts for accuracy of insurance compliance and accuracy in reporting.
- Monitor debt levels and reporting for debt covenants.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience
- 5-10 years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation
Knowledge & Skills
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations preferred
- Microsoft office experience
- Sage experience
- Primarily in an office environment.
- Position will be expected to travel as needed to all REO Logistics companies no less than twice a year.
- Periodic weekend or evening work is rarely expected.
REO Logistics provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.