Dispatcher (Waynesboro, VA)
Posted on Oct 24, 2017 by Katie Botkin
The Dispatcher is expected to ensure that company resources (e.g. drivers, trucks, trailers, etc.) are used in the most efficient way to meet customer needs and expectations. While completing these tasks, proper documentation must be completed both written and electronically to track these resources to continuously improve operations to move towards as efficient an operation as possible.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare daily work and run schedules for all drivers.
- Schedule and dispatch drivers and equipment to appropriate locations according to customer requests and needs.
- Work with customers and internal personnel to meet loading and delivery timelines based on driver and equipment availability.
- Record and maintain records of work performed and other dispatch information accurately to ensure customer needs were fulfilled and that drivers’ hours and miles are properly recorded for payroll purposes.
- Communicate by phone, text, email, etc. with drivers, customers, and co-workers to ensure there is proper understanding of needs and timelines required to fulfill those needs.
- Must be able to prioritize deliveries and quickly make adjustments and changes to schedules based on new customer requests and needs.
- Must be available during non-traditional work hours to interact with drivers and customers in case of emergencies or other needs of drivers completing scheduled tasks.
- Meet customer requirements by dispatching drivers and equipment in an efficient and timely manner.
- Must complete all paperwork and computer data entries to properly record driver trips for accurate customer invoicing and driver payment.
- Communicate with both customers and internal personnel to ensure 100% customer satisfaction and to meet company requirements.
- Assign drivers tasks in a manner that will allow them to operate their equipment safely and to be in compliance with all state and federal laws and guidelines.
- High School diploma or equivalent education required.
- Prefer 1 year dispatch experience, preferably in a warehouse and distribution network.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for the majority of an 8 hour shift.
- Must be able to communicate with customers and employees both verbally and by electronic means.
- Must be able to operate office equipment including computers, multi-line telephones, scanners, and cellular phones.
- Must be able to carry paperwork from one office location to another for paperwork processing.
- Dispatchers will spend nearly all of their time in an office environment.
- Occasionally, there will be after hour communication requirements between the dispatcher and either customers and/or drivers.
REO Logistics provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, REO Logistics complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.